Aug 232015
 

My 600W 24V DC power supply arrived from mouser, along with my hobbed bolts and the NEMA14 motors for the dual extruder.

I’m wiring up the DC side of the power supply to use 12 awg wire and female disconnects for now. I’ve got the main board supply, a separate line for the heatbeds, and a third set that will be wired in voltage regulator to give me a couple of amps of 12V power for the fans.

And, yeah, heatbeds. The Wilson y-axis can be stretched to 400mm, and I figured it was worth a shot going all the way. I wanted at least 300mm in the x-axis as well, and I found 200x300mm heatbeds (cheaper than one 300mmx300mm) and a conveniently sized 16″x12″ piece of glass at Home Depot. Worst case, it proves to be too large and I have to downgrade to 200mmx300mm (keeping the second heatbed ready for The Future™). This might seem a wee bit insane, but, after having used the TAZ 4, less than 300mmx300mmx250mm seemed underwhelming.

For the controller, I got an Azteeg X3 Pro because it has dual heatbed MOSFETs and support for up to five extruders as a bonus. At the outset, I decided to sink some of the savings over buying a printer into dual extrusion, and wanted to leave open the possibility of at least triple later on… and the X3 Pro wasn’t much more than a RUMBA with steppers aaaand it came with eight stepper drivers (useful in their own right), was fully soldered, and, hey… a triple nozzle extruder plus a single hexagon in the next couple of years or something doesn’t seem too crazy does it?

Not much I can do now until my nuts and bolts come Monday or Tuesday. I have very boring things to say about crimping wire harnesses too.

Aug 202015
 

So I printed the parts for a three dee printer on a TAZ 4 my friend graciously let me borrow, and I may have actually spent weeks going over the BOM a few times … and ended up hitting order on a few too many websites. Packages started trickling in yesterday…

This is going to be … interesting.

Apr 232014
 

Yesterday, I upgraded hcoop‘s openafs file and database servers from 1.4.10 to 1.6.7 (except for cantankerous old deleuze). Today I removed the 1.4.10 machine from afs service with no problems… and then rekeyed. With no problems.

On the one hand, no problems is great. On the other hand, it feels a bit anti-climactic after all of the work that led up to this moment. I think I deserve a beer.

Apr 052014
 
mlyacc src/domtool.grm
mlton -link-opt -ldl -stop tc -output bin/domtool-client src/domtool-client.mlb
Warning: src/printFn.sml 141.5.
  Case is not exhaustive.
missing pattern: (DEnv _)
in: case d of (DExternType name) => (  ...  ace 1, ident name]))
Warning: src/printFn.sml 163.5.
  Case is not exhaustive.
missing pattern: (DEnv _)
in: case d of (DExternType name) => (  ...   name, ident name)])
Warning: src/tycheck.sml 642.5.
  Case is not exhaustive.
missing pattern: (DEnv _)
in: case d of (DExternType name) => (  ...  (bindContext G name)
Warning: src/order.sml 128.5.
  Case is not exhaustive.
missing pattern: (DEnv _)
in: case d of (DExternType name) => (  ...  text G name, empty))
Warning: src/printFn.sml 141.5.
  Case is not exhaustive.
missing pattern: (DEnv _)
in: case d of (DExternType name) => (  ...  ace 1, ident name]))
Warning: src/printFn.sml 163.5.
  Case is not exhaustive.
missing pattern: (DEnv _)
in: case d of (DExternType name) => (  ...   name, ident name)])
Warning: src/autodoc.sml 224.6.
  Case is not exhaustive.
missing pattern: (DEnv _)
in: case annotate_decl d of (DExternT  ...  actions, vals, evs))

I’m adding a minor new language feature to domtool:

env CSymbol [: type] = exp
(* analogous to val Symbol [: type] = exp *)

It will make writing extensions that use environment vars easier… you /can/ already CSymbol = exp to set an environment variable default, but you can not specify a type (important in a few cases like the WWW environment variable). The typechecker internals aren’t exactly my area of expertise, but, hooray, the compiler has already told me every source location that I need to inspect to add support.